Sunday, July 24, 2011

Rest

June and early July have been filled with wonderful craziness for me. I have travelled quite a bit: Biloxi, Mississippi; Destin, FL; Long Island, NY; and Hilton Head, SC. During my home time, I have had two Baby Showers (literally, showers of blessings for Baby Haley to which I am so thankful), attended an amazing parenting conference, started my weekly OB appointments, and caught up on our house. Summer has been FULL! I have thoroughly enjoyed almost every minute of it, and I have a very thankful heart.

Today, Sunday, came upon me and it began as the rest of my week, making breakfast, giving baths and starting a load of laundry. As I stood in over my washer adding some All Free and Clear to the filling water, that sweet whisper was heard, "Christie, today is your Sabbath... why are you doing laundry? Rest!" The Lord was reminding me of His command...

Thus heaven and earth were completed with all their array. On the seventh day God had completed the work he had been doing. He rested on the seventh day after all the work he had been doing. God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on that day he rested after all his work of creating (Gen 2:1-3).

Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your manservant or maidservant, nor your animals, nor the alien within your gates. For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy" (Ex 20:8-11).


I then began my typical rebuttal, "Lord, Haley will be arriving any time now. I must get this done." And I gently heard back, "You're right... Haley will be arriving any time now. You must rest!"
 
There was no arguing with that. The Lord is always right. And I am delighted to obey.
 
I am so thankful for His sweet and gentle words to me. He truly is a loving Father to us. He knows what's best, and we simply need to trust and obey.
 

No comments: