Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Let's Make a Deal - Game Over!

I have this funny feeling I'm not the only one that has a mini human with requests that tend to get repeated... am I?

Yesterday, Caleb was watching the movie Cars as I was finishing up dinner. Occasionally, when my hard working husband gets stuck at work late, I will make it a treat for Caleb and let him watch a movie while we enjoy dinner. However, last night, Mark was not running late. In fact, he was coming home early to watch the kiddos while I went to a Pampered Chef meeting. To make his life a tad bit easier, I decided to have the boys fed, or at least mostly fed, when he walked in the door. So in fact, we were simply eating early. Once the food was on the table, I called for Caleb to turn off the TV and join me. This is when the game started. First came Caleb's request to continue watching Cars during our meal. I sweetly responded, "No, Buddy." Then came a plea, "Please, Mommy???" (whine included)  to which I almost sweetly responded, "No, Caleb. Daddy is coming home in just a bit, and I don't want the TV blaring when he walks in." Then came Caleb's plea bargain, "Well, how about we watch it now and when the garage door opens I will run and shut it off?"

...Before I continue with the story, can I not take a minute to stand in amazement at the Let's Make a Deal game consistently played in our homes? If only we could better steer our children to problem solve life, sibling arguments, sharing, and even homework, we'd be raising little geniuses. Anyone with me?....

At that very moment (Praise Jesus!), the Lord brought to my memory a scripture I had taught to Caleb when I first had a problem with the consistent nag of a request. Matthew 5:37 states "Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one." I definitely do not want my little one having anything coming from the evil one, so I implored to him, "Caleb, can you please let my yes be yes and my no be no? That's what God wants and I do not want to sin." I have found it to be amazing that my son cannot argue with scripture. He simply stops. I am so happy I did not have to get nagged to death, nor raise my voice in frustration. We got to sit down and enjoy our dinner. Dad got to come home to peace and quiet, and most importantly, we honored God.


No comments: